Kilcreggan got its name from an ancient chapel, long since extinct, and has nearly all been built since 1840. It was a much esteemed summer resort and watering-place; consisting chiefly of villas and ornate cottages on a strip of coast upwards of a mile long.
Kilcreggan developed on the north shore of the Firth of Clyde at a time when Clyde steamers brought it within easy reach of Glasgow at about 25 miles (40 km) west of the centre of Glasgow by boat. Many Glasgow ship owners and merchants made their summer retreats or even permanent residences there, and this is reflected in some very grand houses along the shore. Not all have remained occupied, some were demolished and others have been flatted.
The majority of the houses look south across the Clyde towards the towns of Gourock and Greenock, and further down the firth towards the Isle of Arran. Large attractive houses continue westwards from the pier towards Baron's Point which marks the southern entrance to Loch Long, almost to the adjoining village of Cove. To the east of the pier, houses at Portkil extend down to Portkil bay, and the 413–foot (126 m) hill at Rosneath home farm is topped by a television mast.
1.© Winkeybreak http://www.flickr.com/photos/winkey-break/
2.© William Craig http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/31958
3.© Margaret Isaacs